A learning environment is a space where users engage and interact to share knowledge and learn new skills. Different learning environments can have a huge effect on how well these objectives are achieved. One study by the University of Salford found that classroom design can affect pupil’s learning and academic progress by as much as 25 percent. Students being taught in a positive learning environment have been shown to be more engaged, motivated, and have a higher learning ability. Whereas, if the learning atmosphere is not conducive to gaining new skills or knowledge, then it will be more difficult for learners to absorb information and stay interested. With this in mind, let’s look at some of the best ways to create the perfect learning environment:
Seating is an extremely important factor to consider when creating a learning environment. When you are comfortable, you will stay focused and motivated for longer, which will help you to absorb more information. The right type of seating can also improve posture, encourage the use of movement, and reduce the risk of injury. Auditorium seating is often used in learning environments as it is the appropriate size and style to ensure that the optimum layout and level of comfort is achieved. You should also consider how other furniture will affect your learning when designing your learning environment. For example, make sure that you choose a sturdy work table, like a desk, and ensure that it is the correct size and height to support your learning activities.
Colour can have a big impact on how effectively you learn, so it should always be taken into account when creating a learning environment. Here a few different colours and their effect on mood:
● Blue - This is a calming colour that can help you feel relaxed and serene. Blue has been shown to stimulate clear thought and aid concentration.
● Yellow - This is a bright, cheerful colour that can improve mood, self-esteem, and energy levels, making it a great colour for learning environments.
● Green - This is a relaxing colour that has been shown to reduce feelings of anxiety and help people achieve a clear mind.
● Red - This is a powerful colour that has the ability to stimulate learners. However, it has also been known to raise blood pressure, heart beat and irritability.
Lighting is an important factor in the brain’s ability to focus. Many studies have found that learners in brightly lit environments achieve higher grades than those in dimly lit classrooms. It is therefore important to create a bright, well-lit learning space. However, you should keep in mind that artificial light and fluorescent lamps cause glare, which can have a negative effect on eyesight and make you feel tired faster. You should therefore try to use natural light sources and position desks and workstations next to windows whenever possible. Being in a naturally-lit environment will help you be more productive and has also been shown to reduce anxiety and stress, and improve overall health.
Studies have shown that students learning in environments with fresher air achieve better results. This is because our brain needs oxygen to function properly. For this reason, you should look for ways to improve the air quality in your learning space. Here a few simple ways to achieve this:
● Add some plants - These are a great source of oxygen and will help to give the room an attractive, fresh look.
● Keep windows open - Ensure that your learning space is well-aired by keeping your windows and doors open whenever possible.
● Use an air purifier - These remove potentially harmful particles and can significantly improve the air quality in your learning environment.
The biggest learning distraction is mobile phones. Looking at a smartphone or mobile device while trying to learn something new, will have a negative effect on your learning ability. The best solution is to avoid learning distractions by turning mobile phones and other electronic devices off, or putting them on aeroplane mode. If you are still becoming distracted and find yourself checking notifications during learning time, then you should keep them out of reach to avoid temptation.
Creating the best possible learning environment can play an important role in how effective your learning is. Seating, light, design and air quality all contribute to creating an effective learning space where you can reach your full potential. When you establish a learning environment, keep these important factors in mind to help you create the perfect learning atmosphere.